Taking more physical activity is easier than you think. Begin by putting a little extra effort into the things you do every day and soon there’ll be no stopping you!
Tips for success include:
- Always be aware of how your body feels and don’t push it too far. Physical activity is not meant to be painful! You should be able to exercise and carry on a conversation, so if it hurts stop.
- Gradually build up your activity to a total of 30 minutes a day. You don’t have to do it all in one go to get the benefits – two sessions of 15 minutes is just as good!
- Don’t feel you’ve lost all the benefits if you miss a day.
- It’s important to stretch your muscles before and after any strenuous exercise.
- Check on your progress. Regular activities should begin to take less time or take less out of you.
- The secret of success is doing something you really enjoy that you can fit into your life and you can keep doing regularly.
- Try a number of activities before choosing those you like best.
- It can be more fun to take physical activity with a partner or friends.